Digging Down and Reaching up: Tree Books

Hello everyone! It’s me again. Today I will be talking about an LA project. This project was called tree books. In previous years, sixth graders did hero books. In these book you right a poem about someone that had an impact on your life. Our tree books were somewhat different. We worked together with Peg Gignoux to make them. Thank you Peg! The link to her website will be at the bottom of this post.

Steps                        

● Screen printing
● Paper folding
● Akua ink
● Collage
● Pockets
● Salute to My Roots
● Life List
● When This is Over
● My Wish
● The book Wishtree by Katherine Applegate
● Frank Gallery presentation

Now, let’s break this down.

Screen printing. For screen printing we took pieces of paper with tree poems written on  them. Then used paint to print them onto a big piece of paper.

Paper folding: it’s pretty simple, all we did was fold a blue piece of paper or look like a book.

Akua ink:  For this, we took some leaves and flat objects that occur in nature. We took some ink, and our objects. We rested the object, (leaf, petal, grass, etc) on a piece of paper. We took a roller with ink on it and rolled it on a different piece of paper. After we lifted up the piece of paper with the ink on it we had a colorful paper with a leaf imprinted on it.

Collage and envelopes: So I combined these because we did the same thing for both. We took scarps of paper and some akua inks, and cut them up. We glued these shapes and cutouts into the tree books and our envelopes, then glued our envelopes to the tree book, two inside, one outside.

Salute to my roots, life list , when this is over, and my wish: For these we took Google docs and wrote them down. Imagine you were writing a lists about the future. That’s what the life list and when this is over is about. On the Life list we wrote things we hoped to do until we were 150. Then for our when this is over, we wrote about what we dreamed about to happen after corona, but also whicy regulations we wanted to keep after corona. Salute to my roots is where we wrote about someone that impacted our lives. I wrote about my great grandfather. Finnaly, my wish is where we wrote something we wished for. Here is mine: I wish for a great June.

Frank gallery: After three months from March 28th to May 28th, we finally presented our books. With our families we went and looked at our books and explored the gallery. Here is the link to the website.

https://www.frankisart.com/gallery-exhibitions

I hope you enjoyed his blog post. These books were really fun to make. Thank you for reading.

Pegs website: https://gignouxart.com/